This recipe is inspired from "Ultimate Nutty Granola" from a superlative book called Oh She Glows by Angela Liddon. I have modified it for my family's tastes and preferences. For the original recipe (which is an addictive snack), do refer to the above book, which is an incredible collection of go-to recipes!
Crunchy Bunches of Goodness Cereal
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
Makes about 6 cups of cereal
1 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup other mixed raw nuts (I used cashews and hazelnuts)
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup raw buckwheat groats (easily found in health food stores, or just use more rolled oats)
1/2 cup mixed dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, goji berries, apricots etc)
3/4 cup raw seeds (mix of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 275F
- Grind 1/2 cup of almonds into a coarse almond meal. Add to a bowl.
- Add remaining almonds, walnuts and other nuts to a food processor and pulse until chopped. I used a spice grinder to process the nuts in small batches. Add them to your mixing bowl.
- Add oats, buckwheat groats, dried fruit and seeds. And in the salt and combine.
- Add the maple syrup and coconut oil and stir the mixture well.
- Spread this mixture on a large cookie sheet and press down so everything sticks together.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 mins. Rotate the pan and bake for another 20-25 mins.
- Take it out of the oven and allow it to cool completely (atleast 1 hr) before breaking up into clusters!
You could mix it up by adding cinnamon or vanilla extract. As other superfoods make their rounds into your pantry, you can add chia seeds, ground flax seeds or cacao nibs. Please take the time to share your variations with me.
It is time to take control of breakfast. Thank you General Mills and Post. We won't be needing your services anymore.