Tuesday, March 28, 2006

ARF/5-a-Day #13: Whole Wheat Pasta with Spinach and Feta

For this week's ARF event, I prepared a one-dish-meal rich in not one, not two but THREE ingredients from the top 10 Antioxidant foods - whole grain, spinach and garlic. Mediterranean style Whole Wheat Pasta with Spinach and Feta Cheese - One pot meal with a side of quick garlic bread. The recipe is adapted from the book "Vegetarian Times Cooks - Mediterranean". This book by the way, is an excellent collection of unique vegetarian recipes from France, Italy, Spain and others in the region. The savory tarts, focaccia and pizza recipes are in my must try list. Many traditional recipes are modified to include vegetarian or even vegan ingredients.
Ok, on with the recipe.

Spinach and whole wheat pasta taste great together. To vegan-ize the recipe, you can replace milk with oat or soy milk, and substitute feta cheese with one cup of well drained, well pressed crumbled firm tofu which has been sauteed over high heat with garlic in olive oil.

Whole Wheat Pasta with Spinach and Feta CheeseServes 6
1 lb dried whole wheat pasta (I used fusilli)
1 bag (10 ounces) spinach leaves, washed
Add pasta to large pot of salted boiling water. Cook till al dente, about 11 mins. Stir in the spinach during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup milk
Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until soft. Add flour and cook stirring continuously for about 2 mins. Remove from heat and add the milk. Return to the stove, and cook stirring continuously till the sauce boils.
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper (freshly ground)
1/4 tsp nutmeg (I skipped this one)
Remove from heat and add salt, pepper and nutmeg
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup minced dill (I skipped this one too)
Drain pasta and spinach and transfer to serving bowl. Add the sauce, feta cheese and dill. Mix well. Serve with garlic bread.

One dish to rule them all, one dish to find them, one dish to bring them all and in the heat of the stove, bind them. erm... the essential food groups (carbs, protein, fat, fibre and minerals) I mean :-)

Visit Sweetnicks place to read this week's ARF roundup!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummm. I LOVE spinach and feta cheese - my whole family does. None of my friends can understand it..they all hate it.

I make almost the same recipe. I also omit the dill and nutmeg!!! can't stand the taste of either one!!!

I add black olives in the end as well.

thanks for reminding me of this recipe. Haven't made it in a long time.

cheers!

Shammi said...

Feta cheese is yummy! Your recipe sounds very healthy and looks great :)

I just havent been able to acquire a liking for olives, though....