Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Faux Kheema Mattar (Faux Minced-meat with Peas)

When I saw a recipe for this faux kheema on Bilbocancook's Smorgasbord, I mentally bookmarked it. Who wouldn't want to stretch their grocery visits, stock up on non-perishable items like soya nuggets and frozen peas? There will come a time in any home cook's life, when all they'd have in their pantry in terms of vegetables are some onions. Times like these don't think any further, pull out the stash of nuggets, peas, a can of tomato paste and whip up a quickie vegitarian kheema. Thanks bilbo, now I have one more thing I can make from Soy Nuggets. I am not sure what the shelf life of tofu is, but these nuggets will last a looong time.

Soya nuggets can be used in any gravied curry or pilaf recipes. Before adding to the dish, soak in warm water (salt the water if the nuggets are added at the end of the recipe) for 5 minutes, drain and squeeze out all moisture from nuggets. Use as desired in stir fries and curries.



Faux Kheema Muttar
1 cup soya nuggetsSoak in hot water to cover for 5 minutes. Microwave for 2-3 minute intervals until cooked. Drain, run under cold water and squeeze out excess moisture. Process in a food processor until well minced.
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 red onion, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
Heat oil and saute onion and garlic until soft and fragrant
1 tbsp tomato paste
salt to taste
2 tsp fresh garam masala powder
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
Add to the pot, incorporate the paste and cook till aroma exudes. Add the reserved 'kheema'.
1/2 cup waterAdd water and simmer for 5-7 minutes


This is a great way to add soy to your diet. Thanks Bilbo, for the recipe. Serve hot with warm chappatis, a salad and butter milk.

A Balanced Meal

10 comments:

Priya said...

wow finally a recipe with soy as the main ingredient. And with rotis mmmmm sounds good to me :)Love it

Ashwini said...

This looks good GM. I am not too fond of soy milk/ yogurt so this is one important protein often excluded from my diet. This will help me add it to my meals.

bilbo said...

hey Garam masala,
Oh man, you tried it too. Yours looks so much better than mine. I am really glad you went ahead and tried this. This will encourage me to follow through on more of my wacko ideas. Thanks once again.

GourmayMasala said...

Priya - Yup, easy main dish with soy. I had it the next day with bread too.

Ashwini- Do try it out and see if you like soy this way. Have you tried adding soy milk to kheer etc? It may help to mask the taste.

Bilbo - Thanks for sharing this recipe! Do keep up your whacky ideas... some times our best creations start on a whim or a hunch! Thanks!

Kay said...

Garam masala, Very interesting dish.. I use the same brand of soy chunks to make curry. The kheema sounds yummy! :)

Ashwini, try adding soymilk to smoothies. ;) It masks the taste and smell of soymilk.

Meenal Mehta said...

Great one Ashwini ,

will try and link you on my food blog ..

take care
-Meenal

GourmayMasala said...

Thanks Kay! It's really easy too.

Meenal - Thanks, I glad you liked it. I guess you meant 'Garam Masala' or GM as my friends call me :)

sailu said...

Healthy way to cook up soy nuggets and include in our diet,GM.You are coming up with some very healthy food here.Thanks for the inspiration..:)

Alanna Kellogg said...

Love the recipe format you use, kind of like Cooking for Engineers but simpler. Thanks for stopping by A Veggie Venture earlier! Alanna

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through naughtycurry.com, and I just made the veggie keema matar for dinner yesterday (though with seitan - wheat protein - rather than soy, just because thats what I had lying around): it was d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s! So quick to put together from store cupboard ingredients too: thanks for this.