Tuesday, February 14, 2006

HFCIPTP #1: Veggie Pizza Indian Style

How Far Can I Push The Pantry... This is the question I have been asking myself. It has been almost four weeks since a visit to the grocery store. Most of the perishable items I have are mostly wholesale items purchased at the local Costco (carrots, peppers). We were planning of going shopping over the weekend, but the Nor'easter came gatecrashing into the east coast. We got plenty of the white stuff and sat at home with friends, sipping Leo coffee.

Picture taken by Hubbie after about 15 in of snow had fallen

I am prepared for this pantry stretching challenge, and to start off, I made (streched :) ) some pizza. I used a breadmaker to prepare the pizza dough. But it is really easy to make it by hand too. Here's a recipe from Priya. Be sure you have active dry yeast and some all purpose/whole wheat/bread flour in your pantry. My pizza dough from the breadmaker rose bountifully.


Pizza Dough - risen and all ready to roll

Like I said - no melting cheeses (I had a small amount of processed Amul cheese from the Indian store), no tomatoes for the sauce... just some peppers, chilies, my last onion and some garlic. Here is an Indian take on pizza. I think Hubbie and I like this better than regular cheesy pizzas.


Indian Style Veggie Pizza
1 recipe for 10-in pizza crust doughRoll out dough into a 10 in crust on a pizza tray. As far as possible try to strech by hand. It doesn't make the crust too dense, plus its fun!
5 tbsps spicy tomato ketchup (I used the Indian brand Maggi)
3 tbsps Garlic Chutney (Nupur's recipe, made ahead)
Spread ketchup on the crust and sprinkle generously with the chutney
1 onion, sliced into half-moons
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 cup assorted colored peppers, sliced
2 chilies chopped fine
some chopped chunks of Amul cheese (optional)
Top the crust evenly with the toppings. Bake in a 425F oven till crust is light brown. Remove from oven, cut into slices and serve. Top with crushed red pepper flakes.

I think I am now going to turn to Rajasthani or Jain dishes in the Indian cuisine, which do not use onions, garlic, tomatoes etc.

9 comments:

Ashwini said...

Wow you have a bread machine. Am eyeing that thing for so long! Honestly I love home made pizzas too.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious and colorful, GM.

We had few inches of snow, our town was out of the path of this major snow storm.

25 inches, that's a lot. Did you get any break from work, (office closing)?:)

Anonymous said...

Oops, I mean 15 inches.

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious! Who says you need tomato sauce and cheese to make a tasty pizza?

GourmayMasala said...

Ashwini - Yes, a breadmaker is great. Takes the sweat off! Homemade pizzas are the best...

Indira - Thanks! When I was making this pizza I was distinctly reminded of your Steelers pizza which had similar colors. Unfortunately, it snowed on the weekend :( We got all the snow on Saturday... the city had all day Sunday to clean the streets... so no office closings.

Courtney - Thanks! I'm excited to be featured on NC once again!

Ken - You said it! Thanks for visting my blog!

BDSN said...

ALL your pictures look great...
Very simple recipe for the pizza..Ive been logging in almost everyday to see if you have anything new but today I have found many new items listed...

Anonymous said...

That looks quite nice! I would take homemade pizza over store bought any time.

Alanna Kellogg said...

What a project! (Do you hire out? My pantry -- and oh my the freezer -- could use some dedicated attention.) And the pizza looks more than a little edible, too! ;-) Alanna

Nupur said...

Oh My :) what a delicious pizza! Glad the chutney recipe worked too :)